We know the kids growing up in the church is very important, but Ryan and I also realize that our role as parents is much larger. It is scary to think about the effect that we have on our children! But, we know we are not alone, and that we cannot do it alone! I never realized the trueness of "God is in control" until I had children! When you realize that you can only do so much, that you make mistakes, and that you do not always have things under your control, is when you realize how thankful you are to have a loving God who is in control and who is taking care of your precious little ones when you cannot! What comfort and hope in our sovereign God!
And our prayer of course is that our children one day will be able to understand this also and will grow to live a life that is glorifying to Him. Again, we know that that is a heavy weight on us, as the main vessels God uses for teaching them, but knowing we are human we rely fully on the Father and give our babies over to Him daily!
So those are my thoughts on having our precious little ones baptized, and as far as the actual baptism went, it went without a hitch and was really a sweet thing! Ryan and I were nervous of course, sitting down in the front of the congregation knowing we were going to have to make it through half of the service with a six month old and a very active 1 and a half year old. The knots in my stomach grew tighter and tighter every time I saw Hannah Grace squirm about in her daddy's arms, as I waited for the dreadfully loud squeal of " I want to get down adn RUN!" But all went better than expected, even though Ryan's back was probably achy the rest of the day from holding her, the Cheerios he had stashed away in his coat pocket held her out and she was actually very well behaved! As for Bennett, well as my friend said it was "in typical Bennett fashion." He had konked out on me before we went up there, and slept even through me handing him off to our pastor. He cried a tiny bit at the sudden water that was being dumped on his head (yes, Dr. Young tends to give the babies a second bath) but other than that he was an angel!
Us and Dr. Young
Us and my parents.
Ryan's Family
Bennett and his cake, for both his and Hannah's baptism we had a little family get together with dinner and cake to celebrate!
And also, I won't have any pictures from Easter this year to put up, sadly enough. But it really was a funny situation. When family had asked how our Easter was, I would have to say, "well it was not the picture perfect Easter we hoped for but it was nice."
It was a pretty chilly dreary day here to begin with, and to start things out I sang in the choir which meant I had to be there early, which, yes, meant daddy was in charge of getting everyone dressed and to church on Easter morning! Haha, just thinking about it makes me smile! This isn't to say he didn't do good, but he was a bit frantic when I called to check to see if they were on their way. They were running late and I had to go in to church, meaning he would have to get both kids into church by himself. Doesn't seem like such a hard feat with two kids right? Well, the tricky part is that they both have bags and neither can walk! (Well Hannah obviously walks but not like through the parking lot per say) So poor Ryan is trying to get everyone and all their stuff from his mile away parking spot to their Sunday school classes. He picks Bennett up and sets Hannah on the pavement. He takes her hand and tried to get her to follow his lead, but soon enough, she trips and is on the pavement in her white Easter dress crying and Ryan has no hands to pick her up with! Luckily Uncle Ross saw from the window and came to the rescue (fhiew!). After church we had planned on going to take some family pictures at Ryan's parents house, but again, disaster set in. I was standing in the parking lot, holding Bennett and waiting to load him into the van, when I suddenly felt warm and heard wet splatter on the ground. "Oh no! He spit up all over!" was my first reaction, but as I looked down to the puddle below me, I realized we were not dealing with spit up at all. He had (still unknown to me just how, but) somehow tinkled out the side of his diaper, something only a little boy could do I guess. Needless to say he and I were both soaked and he shivered as I undressed him in the back of the van with the cold wind blowing. As I wrapped him in a blanket and set him in his carseat naked it was apparent at that point that the picture thing was NOT happening. So that was our Easter with small children, but never-the-less we celebrated the risen King even if we have no pretty pictures to show for it!
No comments:
Post a Comment