Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm Dreaming of A White Kitchen

Warning: Home Dec. post. Either jump for joy that I am actually not posting about kids, or close the page, cause you could not care less about looking at pictures of random kitchens. 

A few posts back when I talked about painting my kitchen, I mentioned how badly we have wanted to redo our kitchen (counters and back splash) since before we even bought the house. I always love to play around with ideas for the future, without hopes of actually doing it "now". But it is looking like we might be coming upon the most opportune time to do it. While my parents were here, water began to seep up from under our floor (that we knew was already a little warped) in front of our dishwasher. The boards buckled and I started pulling one up to reveal the nastiness that was underneath. Our plumber confirmed the leak was from the dishwasher and encouraged us to make an insurance claim to replace the wood laminate floors. So that is the path we are on right now. It seems that our floors are covered and we are thinking that while we are having the floors ripped out and while we have a contractor at our house, now is a great time to go ahead with the counter tops and other minor improvements. There are so many factors that we are waiting to find out about that will tell us wether this is a the best decision or not, so it's completely not in stone.... but you know how my wheels get turning with this stuff. So, that said and all in good fun, I thought I would share some of my kitchen inspirations.

Okay, so I don't have credits for all these pics, I've just been saving them as I find them into a folder. Hope it's not a no no for sharing them, I'm in no way trying to take any credit for them! =) I do know this first one is from House Beautiful and is probably my number one jumping off point. I am going for these main elements-- white subway tile back splash, white cabinets, dark counter tops, and a medium (hopefully as "hickory" looking as I can get) colored floor. Love the lighting over the island, but that ain't gonna happen here.

 Again- with the white, dark, white. Oh how I wish I could have some natural light like this with a window over my sink. I don't think any contractor can help me out with that one unless we decide to have them, oh... remove our garage.
 Love this. I love the look of grey marble counters, but again we are low budget and the counters will be laminate. I love the black Windsor back counter chairs, but if I'm not mistaken those are pricey too. Maybe something like this would be a more budget friendly option at some point.



Hello dream kitchen, how do you do? Even though, I don't love the island lighting in this case. Ryan is in full agreement with me on this one- We both would be tickled to death to have a window seat table like that. Ross and Lori, can't you just picture us sitting in there playing our mad game of Spades the other night? Maybe someday, maybe not. =)

I am well aware, my kitchen now will never look like one of these kitchens. The bones aren't there. No high end appliances, no real wood cabinets, no gorgeous wood beams across my sealing, and again no flood of crisp natural light. But hey, I am more than thrilled just be making the best with what we've got! And trying to get a look on a budget is half the fun, right?!

Now here's to hoping all this "goes down" like we are hoping. It still could be a total  "no go", but this girl gives the dreaming part a "go go". Will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

here's a monkey in you wrench... I like the white counters????? Mom

Brenda said...

I love white kitchens too. I bet you could find chairs like that really cheap at a yard sale or on Craigslist, and paint them black!