Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Thoughts


Good Friday- a day that each year, for me, passes by looking all too much like any other. My prayer is that today the reality of the cross would be heavy on my heart an mind. Then of course, it always should be. It should always make each day look different than a day for someone who doesn't know the reality of the work of Christ on the cross. And this truly has been weighing on me for the last several weeks. I've "known" and loved God all my life. I have wanted to live a life pleasing to Him for as long as I can remember. But just recently have I realized I want to live a life that is more than pleasing to Him. I want to live a life that is given up for Him

I have had these thoughts about living a  life of abandonment to self, but have questioned how He intends for me to do this? I don't feel we have been called to get up and move out family to a far off country, I don't believe God has gifted me as a leader to head up an awesome ministry, how is it He intends to use me? There are a lot of stirrings going on, I will tell you that. 

Here is what I do know:
  • Sacrificing my whole life to God will be the only life of true contentment, satisfaction, and joy. 
  • Sacrificing my life to God does not mean just taking easy roads, and that's okay. In no way shape or form has he called us to live easy lives. 
  • Sacrificing my life to God is the only way to teach my children of His love for them and all His children. I want my kids to know Christ more intimately than Sunday school story books- while I love to see them learn these things... I want them to be raised in a home that lives out the Gospel each and every day. That the nature of God becomes second nature to us all. How else can we fight the lifelong battle our sinful nature? [Only by His grace.]
  • Sacrificing my life becomes my desire when I keep my mind on the Ultimate Sacrifice that was made for me. Even my greatest offering becomes so small. 
  • Sacrificing my life to God will bring focus to things eternal. Slowly.... God is working on shifting my focus, and changing my priorities. They are ever so slowly, and often reluctantly, shifting from material things of this world that are so fleeting, to things that matter for eternity. I have a feeling that this will be a lifelong work in progress, but isn't that what sanctification is all about? 
This doesn't mean a legalistic life, a life without sin and pain, and utter failure. This doesn't mean looking like a particular formula of "10 Steps on Living for God". It means a heart that overflows with thanks for the Life that was sacrificed on our behalf- that nothing else makes sense but to give all of ourselves in return for something we can never pay back. Wow! What beauty in the cross!

No comments: