Monday, April 16, 2012

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

How does your garden grow? 
 With silver bells,
 And cockle shells,
 And pretty maids all in a row!!!

Last year we invested some time and money in digging out a vegetable garden in the backyard. It was a total dud.
We finally got tomatoes too late in the season and everything else never made it. 
We are giving it a second go this year!! We bought plants instead of trying to start from seed (what were we thinking with that one!?!) And kept in mind nothing grew in the back towards the fence. Hopefully with not making those two key mistakes we will have some more success this year!!
Fingers crossed!!

 The kids were of course excited to help!

 They have been watering an "acorn garden" next to our garage for days now, so I guess we may as well put that work to good use on something that will hopefully actually grow! (We will be in big trouble if said acorn garden did grow ;-)
 Hannah Grace loves watering with her watering can!
I told her as we were walking out of Lowe's, maybe the green thumb skips a generation and she will get it!!!
(Unlike brown thumb mama!!)

 In the garden we are trying: tomatoes again, red bell pepper, sugar snap peas, broccoli, yellow squash, and strawberries. (If you are a garden expert, you may be laughing at us right now- I have no idea what of that will actually grow!!)
In pots we did herbs: basil, cilantro, and mint.




Mary, Mary quite contrary,
Here's hoping this garden GROWS!!!!!

2 comments:

linda said...

I will plant a garden green,
Then I'll watch it grow.
I'll water each plant one by one,
They'll sprout up in a row.
With a squirt-squirt here,
And a squirt-squirt there,
Here a squirt, there a squirt,
Everywhere a squirt-squirt,
I will plant a garden green,
Then I'll watch it grow.

Good to see Momma in the great pics too!

Brenda said...

The garden looks great!