Monday, July 15, 2013

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Stop the presses, it's back to back posts in a day! Crazy ;-) I've still got more vacay pics and other fun news to come, but for now I felt compelled to write.

You just may notice almost all my posts on here are family journaling with a few house, hobby, and just "thoughts" thrown in between. This is one of those "thoughts" posts I just wanted to put in writing because, well, there just isn't really anything more important than this.

Yesterday morning in church I sat behind a precious newly widowed woman (who is somewhat of a matriarch of our church). When I say newly widowed, I am talking like this was probably her 1st Sunday in the pew since her husbands passing. As I stood behind her it was difficult to not get lost in emotion. The words of the hymns I sing always take on heavier meaning for me when I am aware of a person around me going through something. I feel like I am singing the words through what they are going through. Any one else know what I am talking about?

I sang and I thought and I was moved. This God we serve really is amazing and I am always thankful for the times He really leaves me stricken in awe. As I stood next to my husband and behind this sweet woman I thought about the steadfastness of God. As He spoke to Moses in the burning bush "I AM WHO I AM". And He is still today.  He is never changing. May seem like a simple thought, but yet... Everything in life  is always changing. I love change (to an extent at least) My kids change, my thoughts change, my environment changes, my phase of life changes, my relationships change. I am often focused on the next big change. And then I am reminded in all the changes I have ONE constant. God. That is all. He is the only thing in life that will NEVER change. So one day, if the Lord takes my husband before He takes me.. I will still stand before Him singing His praise. It is the only thing in this life I know for sure. So while I often try to avoid cheesy-ness and heaviness I just felt compelled to share because I just don't know how else we make it through this crazy life without that steady anchor. 

This is probably a pitiful illustration, but a while back I was folding laundry. Shocker, I know...
I folded one my daughters night gowns and looked at how worn and dingy it was beginning to look. I remembered when the night gown was new. There is something so fun about a new pair of favorite pajamas, am I right? (It's one of those "small things") I was so excited for her to have a fresh non fuzzed cute nightgown  to cozy into her bed at night. When I realized how not new anymore it looked I thought about God. Weird connection maybe I know. But it led to me to think that even the things we are so excited about when they are new (Ryan can attest when I do any kind of redecorating in a room I want to just sit in there for days and stare at it...hey even if it means sitting on the toilet seat staring at my freshly painted bathroom multiple times in a night;-) But everything's newness eventually wears off and loses the excitement. Everything but God. He is never changing, yet He never gets old, His mercies are new every morning. He was God yesterday, He is God today, and He will be God for all the tomorrows to come. 

What else can you say that about?

1 comment:

linda said...

You have such an awesome gift of writing! I love you!