Sunday, June 6, 2010

Flopsicles

So my goal for this summer is to be more intentional about doing things and going places with the kids. Not even anything extravagent, expensive, or major- in fact, maybe I will try to post a list, that so far has only been a very long mental note, of ideas of things to do with the kids and try to hold myself accountable.
This one is among the smallest of things, and it wasn't premeditated. The other day when I stopped at Target before leaving town I hit the dollar spot to look for something "new" for the kids to play with on the car ride. Then I saw these little plastic popsicle treys for a dollar and thought, "The kids will love that! And it will be cheaper than always buying popsicles". So I was all proud of my dollar little find of a popsicle trey. So today ( well now the other day) Hannah asked if we could make popsicles.

Okay here's where things 1st starting going downhill. I thought, "What should we fill them with? I bought Kool-Aid, but, juice would technically be a healthier choice, maybe we should atleast start with juice." Then I thought "Ooo, I have a great idea." **Note to self: When you think this it almost never plays out to be a good idea.** I thought I would use white grape juice, but make them more fun by using food coloring to color them. It took me all of about 3.2 seconds after pouring the food coloring into the juice to think about how food coloring will majorly stain their clothes. Oh well, I kept on.
Hannah Gracie wondering what on earth her momma is doing.
Then I also did just the Kool-Aid. They were never intended to be Christmas popsicles =)

They thought it was pretty fun and were excited to put them in the freezer and wait for them to freeze. That night when they were finally ready, it also didn't take long to realize why these wonderful little things were in the dollar spot. I about gave up on trying to get them out. I even jammed a butter knife right through the plastic on one. Nice. Getting one of them out involved my teeth, and it didn't feel good. Ryan for some reason thought he would get a picture of me in my frustration, and I for some reason am including it on here. I'm sure I'm tired and not thinking straight and will think this entire post is dumb in the morning. Haha.
After our popsicles really became more flopsicles, you would think I would have just thrown the dern thing in the trash. But knowing me I won't. After all, the kids seemed happy with the end result, and if at 1st you don't succeed try try again, right?!?
When I was a kid we loved making Mountain Dew ice cubes.
Hmmm. Maybe the $2 big box of popsicles is the best way to go after all.
But what fun is that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! Love your big smiles in the end! Just that was worth a dollar! Nina

Aundrea said...

Rylie got some bunny ones in her Easter basket and she loves making them too. Yes it's easier to buy the premade ones but I agree with you where's the fun in that! But ours came with instructions on getting them out. Run luke warm water over the bottoms and they come out smooth and easy! They are pretty messy I always save them for "special" outside treats. :)

Suzie said...

Haha! Cute, cute! Your kids sure have a fun mommy!