Little known fact about me: I love the Spanish language and culture. When we had Mexicans laying our new floors that spoke next to no English, I wanted so badly to brush up on my Spanish speaking skills with them, but was entirely too embarassed to follow through with it. Instead I kindly smiled and nodded at them and pretended I wasn't trying to translate in slow-mo everything that was being spouted out of their mouth at 50 miles a minute. I'm not still kicking myself for totally wussing out, really, I'm not. =)
I took four years of Spanish in high school- the first two years were for my foreign language requirement and the last two for my own sheer enjoyment. I got to wear a chord (is that what are called?) at high school graduation for Spanish National Honor Society- making me feel so smart because Lord knows, I wasn't wearing the real National Honor Society one where you actually had to be smart at everything! But... make straight A's on those weekly Spanish vocab tests, conjugate verbs until my hearts content, and fill out worksheets on every Friday's episode of "Destinos"?? You 'betcha! At the beginning of Spanish III we had to pick our own Spanish name that we had to go by 100% of the time in class (which for me was 2 years worth). Mine was Chiquita. If you saw me on the street today and hollered "Hola Chiquita!" I really think I still just may turn my head =). And, I loved my Honors Spanish teacher- despite the fact that she got on to me with "Chiquita!!!.... la rubia!!! Cierra la boca!" I suppose in hindsight referring to me as "the blonde" and telling me to "shut your mouth" was actually quite lenient of her. Despite four years of classes, I'm not sure I know how to translate "obnoxious teenage girl who never shuts her yapper", but she definitely would have had full rights to mutter that one under her breath!
In the first half of high school I had dreamed up this pretty little life plan for myself and here is how it went. I graduate high school and go to college. I get a major in elementary education with a minor in Spanish. I graduate college and head to South America to use my Spanish minor working in an orphanage for a couple years. I come home start a teaching job, get married, have kids, stay home, and when my kids return to school I would return to teaching. Sounds nice and tidy, doesn't it?! That was Stephanie's 20 year master plan at 15 years old.
Now, flashback, to real life. College time came and there was just not much time in my schedule for a Minor degree on the side. And on a bigger note, I was pretty confident at that point God had already placed the man (really boy seems more appropriate for that time =) He intended for me to marry into my life. The rest is kind of obvious history I guess. Engaged three years after dating my high school sweetheart, married after only two years of college and what do you know?? sweet baby girl's arrival just a short year later! No doubt in my mind God's plan for my life was much better than my own. I wouldn't change a day of it.
I tell you this really (again) as just a little personal, non child related info about myself (It's kind of fun to cling on to a few of those little things about you that aren't related to your role as mom and wife.) and to share with you about our young couple pastor and family friends who are moving at the end of July to Costa Rica. They are moving their family with kids ages 7 and 4 indefinitely to Central America to follow God's calling for their role in the Great Commission. Will has started a blog to update all aspects of this time for them, and it really is quite a great read and wouldn't be a waste of your time to check out here. I especially love the entry "Bert's Plow".
I suppose that little Spanish loving, adventurous part of my heart is excited to live vicariously through people like the Savell's. But really there is a much bigger thing going on here. While it may not be my family God is calling to Costa Rica this year, I am thankful that he has put this in our lives as a reminder that we are all called to live not for this Earth but for the next-that in ways other than picking up and moving to Costa Rica, God is calling me and my family to reevaluate our priorities. What are we living for? Who are we trying to please? What are we focused on teaching and instilling in our children's hearts and our own? Are our kids seeing consistencies in what we are teaching them and how we live our lives?
It has definitely been a lot of my "food for thought" as of late and just wanted to share. And while I am making plugs for friends in the ministry, our dear friends and RUF ministers Michael and Rachel are headed to Scotland for the summer with Mission to the World. You can keep up with their journey here and drool over the beautiful Scottish scenery and be encouraged by the work they are doing there as well.
Be back soon with the back to the usual... some pics of what we've been up to this summer thus far!
2 comments:
So can you carry on a conversation?
Wow, that's exciting for the Savells!!
I never knew you were into Spanish. I took four years of it in high school and loved it! When I was 15 I wanted to be a translator at Disney World. :)
Post a Comment