Viva "Vi" Sarah (Marohn) Strohschein
While we were the only ones in the extended family who lives far away, I always looked so forward to the summer and winter trips to visit. I remember one summer going and staying by myself and having breakfast waiting for me every morning when I woke up, from just poured cereal and an already carved grapefruit to delicious blueberry pancakes. I was ready to move in for good! And every time we walked out of their house she spoiled us with silver dollars and sweet treats. I told my dad while we were in MN, I wish I could time travel back to when she was a young mom and see her in action. I always related to her through the grandparent/ grandchild relationship. I would love to see how she did things in the time frame that is relevant to my current life. I wonder what kind of a friendship we would have, I wonder what I would learn from her as a fellow mother. I love how my cousin said she sees a different little trait of my grandmother in all nine of the grandchildren. She definitely had many good traits to pass on. I have written about my striving for her domestic abilities here and here. =) I have a recipe box full of handwritten recipes that she gave us several Christmases ago that I just love and am so thankful she did. I think she was equally noted for her stubbornness and her servant-hood. Always caring for and thinking of others before herself. Always doing little things that made each particular person feel special. I think above her domestic greatness, I want to strive for likeness to that part of her.
I had a great time digging through old family pictures. I thought in her memory I would share a few of the ones I came across of her.
One of my favorite pictures of her and my grandpa.
Their wedding day 1947.
With my dad for his confirmation ( my grandpa was a Lutheran pastor). I love her long red trench coat and pumps. I think she was so timelessly fashionable!
Silver Anniversary.
So bittersweet for me. ( My slippers are pretty awesome too ;-).
It's a shame I didn't get her green thumb =)
Cheers in Memphis!
She is well loved and will be well remembered and greatly missed.
I am thankful for her life and her legacy.
I took a few pics on my phone on my trip-

Always love a chance to get to see this girl (even if she is looking at me like I'm crazy)!
She's almost as much of a sass bucket as her cousin (Sadie) and such a cutie!

Loved getting to be back on the lake where I grew up swimming, fishing, tubing and loving every second of being with my grandparents and cousins. (They lived on this lake while I was young, and now my uncle and his family live on it as well) It was a beautiful brisk fall day on the lake and we sat around a bonfire eating, sharing memories, and toasting to grandma.

Trying to get a few pics of the sons and wives, my dad's cousin, and my grandma's sister, Aunt Nora.

All the grandkids, spouses and great grandkids. We were minus six great grandchildren and two spouses (Matt and I were solo). Crazy huh.

3 comments:
Oh my gosh Stephy, thank you. Yes, a legacy indeed!
Steph -
You really captured the wonderfulness that was and is Grandma! I love all the pictures and how you have chronicled the growth of our family - truly amazing! Thanks for your work on this post, it made my day. I think I will print it so I can remember the warmth of these memories and the togetherness of those times.
Joy
She sounds like an amazing woman!
Post a Comment