Saturday, February 13, 2010

Domestic Wannabe, That's Me

I'd think any blogger would, for the most part, love to get comments on their blog. Atleast, if they are like me they would. It's fun and always exciting to get comments, for us small world bloggers atleast (maybe not for blog famous people who get thousands a day =) it makes me glad to know someone is out there and remotely interested, right?

So with that said, of all the before mentioned things I want to blog about, I am going to start out with my crafty side, per Rachel's special request (thanks, friend!!) What can I say, I am to please. =)

I said aim to please, keep in mind, not aim to impress. There is a difference =). I already "showcased" the diaper bag, if you missed them, you can check them out here.
Since then, I have made a spring tote for my mom, it was loads of fun to make.

 It was a monster of a bag. Perfect for a day bag and oh so fresh and springy! The pleats were my favorite part.

I also one afternoon whipped up a tote for Bennett. I had been meaning to get a Stephen Joseph backpack for Bennett (like we got for HG) but then I decided it would be fun to make him something. You know, just a bag to carry his diaper (now pull ups, soon to be nothing) and wipes and cup with him to church. See, I have been wanting to learn how to sew for a long time and am just now getting to it, but a while back I decided to start saving some of Ryan's stuff that he had grown out of ( getting married can pack on a few pounds, don't you know =) Luckily, Ryan could use them then- he's my brawny man now ;-). I thought maybe one day I would make a boy's quilt. Well, that seems kind of an unlikely thing for me now, so I thought it would be oh so perfect to make our son a patchwork bag out of his dad's old plaid and seersucker shorts and some button ups. Here was the result.


Far from perfect, but it serves it's purpose and I think it is so cool that is it made from some of my favorite old stuff of Ryan's. The penguin pattern was from pajama pants I got him while we were dating. The inside and straps were canvas I had left over from the diaper bags. My favorite part is that on both sides the top center patches are from short back pockets that I left fully in tact, so they are functioning pockets.

And now my latest project. I was wanting a little bit quicker of a fun project and decided to try my hand at some baby bibs. I thought they would make great little baby gifts and seemed simple enough. I think I could go crazy with these. I tried the first one I made with some scrap fabric I had around.

I bought terry cloth for the back, so it can be used to wipe faces after meals, and just used a bib I had around here that I liked the general size and shape of to make a template. Bailey was my ever so willing model for my test run.

Then I ordered tons more of Heather Bailey fabrics (I just may have to deem her my fave in the way of fabrics ) and can't wait to just go at it. I made two tonight- one for a Valentine happy for Bailey (after all, shouldn't every model get a sample of their modeling item, haha) and I also got one done of a few that I want to make for Olivia before we leave. Here's the first- I think it's perfect for a little sand and sun California baby, don't you?
Well atleast it was until I thought it would be a good idea to have this not so "sand and sun California" baby model it, and  spit up on it.
I should have known, but just wanted to try it for size on smaller baby.
Maybe I will have to make a repeat of that one =). FYI, the closure is velcro with the button just for decoration.
I just can't wait to dig into the rest of the sizeable stack of fabrics I picked out to make these. It also makes me want to be on the hunt for cute buttons!

My mom helped undo my mistakes on the girl's dresses I attempted. I will probably try them again soon. Clothes are still just so scary to me though. They just seem more complicated and I am picky about the way things fit, even on my kids, so we will see I guess. Jenny Beth, if you read this, I just may have to take you up on your previous offer one of these days!!

You know what else I recently got of my sweet, domestic grandmother's? (I'm just trying to live up to her even if it will never happen- in my eyes, she is a domestic legacy! For most of you who don't know her, she is in a nursing home now suffering from dementia, so if you're the praying type, you can say a prayer for her!)

I feel so homemaker legit when I use that baby!
The other day it helped me with some banana bread that some little monkey literally could not keep his hands off of.

Which does remind me, oh recipe blog, you have not been forgetten. Soon...
Alteast here is one post scratched of the bloggy to do's! (Sorry to the three men not counting my husband who actually read this, ha!)
And thanks again, Rachel, for the motivation. I needed it =)
And now that my eyes are burning, goodnight!

9 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I don't think you're a wannabe, I think you're the real thing! Great job on your sewing projects. I love the fabrics!! So cute!

Erica B said...

Great job on your projects! I don't sew a lick, so you have definitely impressed me :) I am also very jealous of your kitchenaid mixer!!! I keep hoping I will win one on Pioneer Woman... guess I'll just keep dreaming! haha

Rachel said...

Yay! I LOVE the bibs! You could totally sell those. The second one was especially adorable--the button was a fantastic touch! You are now inspiring me to break mine out of the box. And mixers...aren't they are just the greatest? Got one from the inlaws and use it all. the. time. Next request: bib-making tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Go Girl! You are amazing! Momma

Jenny Beth said...

okay!!
1. just like mary beth said you are the real deal. your items look to be beautifully constructed!! I am dead serious. Lets find a weekend and get together and i can show you some of the super easy paterns for girls stuff. depending on how tall bennett is you may be able to get him into some john johns still. i made a potatoe sack top for anna caroline. 30 min top to make. i am soo overjoyed to have been mentioned in your blog!!

Jenny Beth said...

2. mixers rock!!!!! baking will go so fast with one of these.

Dayna said...

Stephanie,
I love your sewing creations! Keep it up and you will become a bonafide entrepreneur!

Michelle Myers said...

You are SO talented, Steph!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your sewing! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I am trying to learn. Also, Sadie is such a cute baby! I can't get over it.