Monday, November 26, 2012

Good Days

I'm sure most people who read this know that I am not just a typical stay at home mom. I do consider myself that, but I do have another "job" as well. My kids are getting to basically grow up with their cousins. Our niece and nephew are at our house 3-4 days a week. Preschool comes into play too, and there is a lot of chaos and running around (figuratively and literally ;). People say allllll the time "I don't know how you do it...." My response is the same every time. I always assure them I don't do it as well as they may be imagining in there heads. In fact a lot of days I don't do it well at all. Most days it is merely survival around here. I wish I could say I'm one of those moms that doesn't raise my voice, but I am most definitely not. I used to think I was a patient person, but I am not. Thank goodness my sister in law is completely understanding when I say "I think your kids are scared of me because I unleashed the from-the-bottom-of-my-chest-I-would-die-if-another-grown-human-being-heard-me-the-demon-momma-took-over yell." Or I have a really mature mom moment where I actually yes, cover my ears as I try to complete a single important thought over the sound of the 100th question being asked in a five minute time frame. Yeah.......
My cousin put this on her FB and I just had to laugh because I can just so relate ;-)

I say all this to say: despite how much I utterly fail at my role at home, I love all these messy little munchkins and want what's best for them with all my heart! I am thankful God's grace covers all my shortcomings!!!

And then there are those good days. The ones that you really get the phrase "my cup overflows". The ones that make you know this time is a treasure. The ones that I pray in all our future memories will outweigh the rough days and moments in between. 
Wednesday before Thanksgiving was one of those just really good days. The kids played in the backyard while I did some Thanksgiving cooking. The view out my kitchen window was just the sweetest view.
And it beckoned me out there.
To enjoy these moments.

(Has this one not mastered the "I can be ornery and sweet all at the same time" look :)
 They are all growing so fast, and the grind passes the days away.
 And before we know it, this will be distant memory.









 I am reading a GREAT devo that was given to me called Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker. (For all you moms of littles I HIGHLY recommend it) In one chapter she opens with how there may not be anything as annoying as the mother of grown children saying to a mom of young children to "Enjoy it! It will be over before you know it!" As you haven't showered in days and smell like baby vomit and she sports her clean Ann Taylor outfit. You think you can only hope it will be over before you know it! Her comic relief is what makes her so relatable!! BUT! She closes with well worded truths, like this:

"You will never have this day with your children again. Tomorrow, they'll be a little older than they were today. This day is a gift. Breathe and notice. Smell and touch them; study their faces and little feet and pay attention. Relish the charms of the present. Enjoy today, mama. It will be over before you know it."


Lord thank you for these gifts! 
Help me to relish the moments-all of them-and to not pass away my time with these little ones with things that will not matter tomorrow! 

1 comment:

linda said...

Sniff,sniff,sniff...