Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Own "Look for Less"

As much as I love "house stuff" I am always on a limited budget for things in our home. Don't read this as a complaint, because it is definitely not that.  Being budget friendly is more fun any way. And of course there is the thrill of the bargain hunt. I was "needing" a piece of furniture for my over-sized foyer. Ugh, furniture. They just don't give the non ugly type away. Oh wait... they don't even give the ugly type away!

I found these pictures, that I didn't use as inspiration pics before hand, but found them after scoring my "find". And realized I had quite the "look for less" scenario on my hands. 
Louis XVI Double Dresser
Belgard Cabinet
Another Ballard Designs Piece  --ranging around $1,000
Storage Furniture - Mirrored Three-Door Cabinet in Weathered Oak - weathered oak, mirrored, 3 door, cabinet
How about this one?  Could be yours for the low price of $3419.00!!!
And there she is. The hubby actually gets credit for prodding me to go to our favorite local antique mall and spotting this himself. I got excited but maintained composure until I saw the price tag. 
We scored this large and ridiculously heavy piece of redone furniture for $235. It even has drawers and shelves inside for storage! Could barely fit it in our car and drove home with our hatch rigged shut with plastic bags (genius idea of the man helping us load it), but we made it, and it was well worth it. ;-).
Rhona Round Gilt Mirrors, Set of 3,
Pottery Barn- set of 3 small for $150
My significantly larger single was from trusty Tar-jey for $40. 
 The other couple accents were also Target, and my mom brought the set of lamps that she had bought and wasn't going to use in her house. They will likely end up in the dining room some day after I have dining room furniture ;-) but for now they will do the trick here.
 The lower part of the wall was a lovely (note sarcasm;) burgundy when we moved it. We have very nicely painted trim and dental molding, but it is not a color I would have picked. (They have the walls and trim  painted all the same neutral almond color) Painting it throughout the house is going to be quite the undertaking, so as much as I would have loved white on the bottom with color on the top, there is no good stopping point and it would have to be done throughout. Since I am not ready for that right now, a quart of light grey paint and about an hour or two of time was more than enough to cover up the ugly burgundy for the time being.
 
What can I say? Bargainista on the loose ;-)
(I wish)

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Lovely! Good find!! By the way, your house looks almost exactly like my house in Germantown. It freaks me out sometimes :-)

Brenda said...

LOVE this! Great job!