Friday, January 9, 2009

Deep Thoughts and Helmet Heads

I often make fun of myself to Ryan because I am definitely one of those deep thought kind of people. I don't mean the smart kind of deep thinking, I guess more like the sentimental type of deep thinking. It's like every time I am doing the dishes, putting up laundry, etc., my mind is on these thought trains. And Ryan more often than not gets to be the recipient of my constantly running engine. He's great though, he always acts interested even though much of the time I'm sure he's not!!!

Anyways, all that to say, last night while I just happened to be folding and putting away laundry I was having some of my "deep thoughts" that I of course had to share with Ryan, so I called him in. I said "Don't you think if you would have known when you were a kid, what being an adult was really all about, you would have enjoyed being a kid so much more?!?" Now let me clarify- being an adult is the greatest part of my life- I have never experienced anything more fulfilling than being a wife and mother! But as I sat there after a busy day with kids and a busy day of work for Ryan- I thought man, as a kid, my view of adult life was so skewed! I think as soon as I was old enough to think about it- I couldn't wait to be an adult because they could do anything they wanted whenever they wanted. Basically being an adult meant driving your own car wherever you wanted to go, staying up as late at night as you wanted to, and getting to tell your kids no or tell them to do something for you instead of having to do it yourself. I never realized what a privilege it was to be a kid- to be care free, imaginative, playful, and taken care of. It is ironic that all the things I thought were the greatest about being an adult when I was younger- are things I don't even bat an eye at now. Obviously now I know what the wonderful things about being an adult really are, but I also know the responsibility and hard work that being an adult is-things like jobs, housework, bills, worry. So I promise, I do have a point ( I might ramble to Ryan with no point, but I would try to spare you all from that). Here it is-

This is my NOTE TO SELF: Stephanie, teach your kids to love and enjoy being a kid while they can.

This is to remind myself to encourage my kids to LOVE being a kid! Teach them that there is plenty of time to be an adult and that once childhood is gone, it is gone. Take it for everything that it's worth. Encourage them and allow them to relish in being imaginative and playful children for as long as they can!!

And I won't disappoint all you who are uninterested in posts without pictures. These are not the greatest quality pics, but they were just too fitting to my point. Last night, AFTER Ryan and I had this conversation, what you see below is what came running through my living room while Ryan and I sat on the couch watching the football game. We did not encourage this, this is just 100% little minds at work.
You will have to excuse the poor quality of these pics, they were literally on the RUN, and it was near impossible to capture them for a picture.





Even though one of my favorite mixing bowls dropped on the hard floor and shattered (they were plastic), ending this fun, I couldn't be mad, they were just too cute looking like little helmet heads running and giggling so hard. Don't you sometimes wish you could have that child likeness in you again for just a day??

(PS-- I finally ordered the part I need to download video, so hopefully it will get here soon and I can't wait to upload a recent video we took on here, no more empty promises, we should have video soon =)

No comments: