Thursday, August 6, 2009

Four and Counting!

Four years ago today, I stood at the altar before God and a couple hundred witnesses and vowed to love and serve my husband through thick and thin for the rest of my life. I love thinking back on how unknown the rest of our lives was. Now of course, it still is, but I do know a little more now than I did then, and after a crazy, unexpected, and wonderful four years, I mean every word of my vows I took more than I did that day, and I know in another forty years, by the grace of God, I will mean them more then than I even do today.

When I start to think about my marriage to you, Ryan, so many things flood my brain and I think I could write a whole book!! But since I hope to get to say something worthwhile to you every year for the next seventy five years (right? =) I will try to pick and choose special things that aren't just the same thing over and over again. This year can I just say- we got married so young, but you were rushed immediately into being a full blown man- as a husband and shortly after a father. You have handled every twist and turn that has come our way- from kids, to job decisions, to furthering your education- with wisdom and confidence that amazes me. You have worked so hard to do what is best for our family- and what you have done has always been the right and best thing for us. Even when buying our 1st house, it was your wisdom and leadership that brought us to the right place. Yet you never exert your wisdom or leadership in a way that makes me feel trumped- it has been such a blessing to always feel like we are on the same page. While I know our marriage is far from perfect, I know we both know how fortunate we have been to have the wonderful marriage that we do have. While things are wild with our our beautiful little children, being your wife is the most important thing to me, and I find some of the greatest fulfillment in serving you as much as I can. You have put up with a lot from me over the past several years and yet you never make me feel like you love me any less. My marriage to you is the greatest earthly thing God has blessed me with and I hope I always show that to you and to our children. Thank you for all you do for all of us.

I know it is so hard now to get good alone time together and this year a pair of somewhat non granny panties, some TV time after the kids are in bed, a brownie cone, and a back rub may be as good as it gets-- but next year-- 5 years!!-- St. Loui: a Cards game; Six Flags; Dinner on the Hill; just you and me babe- let's make it happen!!! (Now we have it in writing to hold us accountable=) Then maybe upon returning since, Lord willing, we will be enjoying our second of five anniversaries not preggO- we can have another newlywed bliss moment like this:

And now for four years of marriage and for my husbands ego ;) here's four

My Husband's Hot When:

1. He comes in all sweaty and grassy from mowing the yard.

2. Pushing a grocery cart in his dressy work clothes (yeah I'm weird, but that's hot)

3.He wears blue jeans.

4. He holds my kids-- any kind clothing will do for this one =)

I love you, Ryan, and even though I may not call you it any more (due to our immense increase in maturity over the years--ha!=)--you are still my Honey Bunches of Oats. Now I will stop before I embarass you any more, just know I love you, am grateful for you, and can't wait to find out what else God has around the corner for us!! You are the best!

3 comments:

Erica B said...

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you, we are so very blessed and especially in awe of how you "live your lives in Jesus". You are right, it is not always easy, but you hold on to the most important love and that is for your Saviour... Hope you had a great day! Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Hmmm 4 years and how fast they have flown by...Congratulations !Grandpa and I hit 59 this July, and it seems like yesterday that we said I do. Enjoy the journey and keep the faith. Love, Gram