Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Program and Other Things

**If this post is completely disjointed I apologize ahead of time. It has been written in about twenty different sittings and contains information overload.

What a week. It has been packed with ups and downs.Thinking back on the week, I can't omit Gracey from it's events. You may remember Gracey from this post. Ryan brought her home snuggled in his jacket shortly after his thirteenth birthday. Ever since, she has been a loved little member of the Braithwait family. Grandma and grandpa had to have her put down this week at thirteen years old, and if you have ever had a family dog, you can understand how she will be missed. Again, just couldn't pass over the events of the week with out paying her a little tribute. She lived a life as good as any pup could!



Most of the week has been spent battling house wide sickness with more than one trip to the doctor and four prescriptions worth of antibiotics =) Hopefully we are knocking it all out before Christmas (in just five days!) Luckily in the midst of all the funk, every one was well enough on Wednesday for the kids Christmas music program from their Mother's Day Out. It was pretty cute (although may not go down in the family history book, quite like last years) and I was so proud of both of the kids- my little sheep and my little angel! I was worried about how Bennett would handle the whole thing, but he did great, and as you can tell, took it very seriously =)





Little sis made a pretty good audience member!
Hannah Grace looked pretty panicked looking for us at first, but once she spotted us way in the back, she was ready to rock'n'roll.


HG and her two teachers. She loves them and I must say they take good care of my girl!
Bennett and one teacher(his favorite), Ms. Karen. The other, Ms. Diane was MIA. I'm pretty positive Ms. Diane doesn't read this blog, so I think it's safe to spill his secret that he tells us he doesn't like her. When we ask him why (and tell him it's not nice to say that, of course) He says it's because she throws his lunch away. Ha! Maybe it will help teach him to eat faster- use it or lose it, buddy! =)
PS- I think Bennett is super handsome in the above picture.

I chatted with some of my church girlfriends a couple weeks ago, about how I always love the idea of holidays and baking and crafting galore, but the unfortunate truth is that while my intentions are good, I never get around to much of it. We have done nothing impressive,  but have snuck in some simple enough (for even me) little fun things. 
The kids loved helping make what I am calling (laying on my finest spread of cheese=) Sn'Oreos. Easy for momma and the kids! We melted white chocolate in the microwave and dunked Oreos in it. We laid them on wax paper and the kids sprinkled them to their liking. We put them in the fridge to finish setting and all enjoyed a yummy treat. So far, that is as festive as our holiday treat making has been. Hopefully we can change that this week, but we will see.=)
The other (very) little project we did was having the kids paint ornaments on some card board I was about to throw away. We kept it simple with some paint, glitter, stickers, and a picture glued on. I finished them off with ModPodge to seal everything together. Whenever we do craft, I have to remind myself, it is their thing and not mine and have to resist the urge to encourage them to do things the way I think they should look and let them do it how they want. ;-) I am working on it!

With refreshments of course. Ha, that boy....
Gotta love those faces.
And yes, Bennett is wearing a sweatshirt that says "Jesus" in a Pepsi logo. I was using it as a paint smock, alright!?! It's bad I know.

Sorry to cram so much in. Christmas is only days away and I still have one more post of pictures I want to squeeze in before it gets here, so I'm packin' it in. 

Some other fun Christmas things we enjoy in our house---
Hannah Grace really loves is her What God Wants for Christmas Nativity. There are seven boxes for the kids to open each night that contain a character from the nativity. It has a little rhyming ditty to go along with each box/ person that is a little on the corny side, but it is a great way for the kids to get excited about it. 
Details

And another thing we started last year, thanks to our small group friends, is reading the Tale of Three Trees. This is one of the most amazing short stories and is a must have for families. It's great for Christmas, Easter, and any time in between. We all love this book.
We have a lot of tough days in this crazy house, but there is something about the forthrightness of the Christmas season that makes you more appreciative, thankful, and refocused on all God's gifts to us, foremost His son that he sent to this earth, a mighty Savior born in a humble stable and laid in a feeding trough. The King of Heaven and Earth was the sacrifice made on our behalf. 

Thought I would wrap it up with some of the words to one of my favorite Christmas hymns. I can't count how many times, sadly, I have sung this without a thought in my mind. But when I focus on them, word by word, they are amazing!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish we could have been there for their program. They are just beautiful, Sadie included. Go girl, I love the crafts and you restraining from doing it yourself. Such a good mom, I always had a really hard time with that! Love you all, Nina