I have mixed emotions about names in general- I can understand why some people think picking your child's name is like the most important thing, almost like it is their destiny or their legacy. Part of me thinks, yeah, it's a big deal, this person is going to have this name as their identity for their whole life. The other part of my says- It's a name! Every one makes it through life with whatever name they have, whether it's an amazing name that everyone loves or not. I have never been "in love" with my name and when I was younger, I could have thought of many other names I would have loved to have- which even those have changed with time- but the bottom line is I'm pretty sure my life has been the same life with the name Stephanie as it would have been with any other name. For example, I'm pretty sure my husband would have loved and married me even if my name was Ophelia- okay maybe not Ophelia- but you get what I mean haha =).
Even having said all that, it doesn't mean I haven't put a lot of thought into my kids names and obviously picking their name is a big deal. So here I am- looking for some advice. Since I never keep anything short and to the point let me tell you my long drawn out thoughts.
Ryan and I have always loved Hannah Grace as a double name- ever since we would have lighthearted conversations in high school about kids names. We also loved Bailey, which we decided against because Ryan's brother wanted that name too (as you can see my nieces name is Bailey=) When we found out Hannah was a girl we went to the car after our appointment and decided on Hannah Grace or Rylie (the other name we had considered- which I like especially with her daddy's name being Ryan- but we kind of figured it was really close to Bailey and we loved the timelessness of Hannah). So we decided in five minutes. With Bennett, we pretty much never even discussed other names. We both loved it from the start and the decision was made.With boy names, it seems like its a lot harder to find one we both like but once we do- it's pretty much a done deal.
Over the past couple years we came up with another girl name we really liked. Addison Lydia. I loved Addie for short and we pretty much for a while assumed if we had another girl, we would name her Addison (Addie). Then one night in the past year we were retalking about names for fun and came up with the one that we are mainly considering now...
Sadie Jane.
After using such a "classic" name as Hannah, I kind of wanted to do something more "fun and cute". We both think Sadie is super cute, and I began leaning more towards it after thinking maybe Addison is becoming just a little too popular and trendy- not to mention it is practically the same name as Madison, which is cute too, but I know about 15 little girls named Madison. SOOO roping myself back in to my point (I have to do that a lot, don't I?) We love Sadie and are thinking this will pretty much be her name, but here is my dilemma.... IS IT TOO MUCH A DOG'S NAME?
This is the one thing that is holding me back from plugging full force ahead with this name- I would LOVE some feedback!! If you are afraid to hurt my feelings (which you won't!) you can post anonymously if that makes you feel better =) It's not that I have to pick a name that everyone else is in love with (that's impossible, anyway) I just really don't want people to be going "Is she talking about her child or her dog?" Which I feel like I can justify by thinking- many names are people and dog names.... Chelsea, Maggie, Bailey, Sophie, Jake, Jackson, etc. etc. etc. That's normal right? Help!
8 comments:
I like that name and think you should roll with it! I don't think it sounds like a dog's name. I mean, sure people have named their dogs that, but people name their pets anything anyway. Like when I worked at a vet's office, there was a cat that came there named Wal-Mart. So don't let pets keep you from naming her a name you love! Besides, people have had their own personal names longer than animals have! I say, name her what you like and want to name her, despite what other people think! (Even if you want to name her Wal-Mart... I wouldn't laugh... too much:)
I love the name Sadie! And Sadie Jane just sounds perfect! It is a cute double name too, if you want to end up calling her a double name like Hannah Grace. Sadie by itself it just fine too! I do not think it sounds like a dog at all! I actually had a dog growing up named Britni and that is a very common girl name! Hannah Grace, Bennett, and Sadie sound great! I love Addison too though.. Addison in a sense would be neat because they would all have a double letter. Just a thought! You always come up with the best names! Let everyone know when you decide!
My two cents: I definitely DO NOT hear "Sadie" and think "dog!" I also like that it's not a popular name. I never want my kids to have to be So-and-so F. to have to distinguish between them and the 3 other kids with the same name. Also, I personally LOVE Jane. It's Elizabeth's middle name because it was my mom's middle name, and I also love the "Jane Austen"-ish sentiments it raises. :) So my opinion...go with it! Can't wait to see pictures of another cute Braithwait baby!
OMG #1 I am so happy for you. Girls are SOOO fun. Sadie Jane is so sweet. We did the same wrestling back and forth with names and wanted the timeless double name deal, thats how we came up with Anna Caroline. Jane is so one of those you know a little girl and a grandma with the same name. It has definately passed the test of time. If i am not mistaken Sadie and Jane were both really popular in the 30's or 40's era. I say its a GO.
I like it, and don't think "dog" at all. You may know that we have a kind of a Beatles theme going in our names (Ellie = Eleanor Rigby, Lucy... obvious), and Sadie is a Beatle connection I've thought of using as well. The only problem: The title of the song is "Sexy Sadie." Not exactly appealing to a daddy of a little girl. Most people would probably never make the connection, but I can't use that name b/c I'd always think of the song! (even though it's a cool song, like all the Beatles' stuff!) But that's just weird ol' me. I say use it!
Since I work with dogs 5 days a week, I have not yet heard of Sadie for a dogs name.... now, let me tell you, there are hundreds of Sofie's. Me, I like Sadie Jane, why would I not!
Love, Mom
We love it! It's very cute and sweet! Tons of people's dogs are named Bailey and that didn't stop us. People name dogs everything these days, so you can't really go by that. There are little girls named Maggie too. I think you should go with it if that's what yall really like!!!
I will be honest, the first thing I thought was "THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOLDEN RETRIEVER'S NAME!!!!!!!!!" Then as I read on I was pleased to see you thought this too.
dog name or not though, it is sweet...
Post a Comment