The epic story began Saturday afternoon when we were at a Craw fish Boil with our Sunday school class. We left early because Hannah Grace fell asleep on Ryan's lap- outside with other kids running around and playing. It is an understatement to say that is not normal for her- she never wants to miss the action! I just figured she was wiped out so we decided to leave early so she could get a nap. Well after having an afternoon long slumber that she was having a hard time snapping out of, we realized she had fever- and a rather high one at that. She was so punk and didn't want to do anything- she has never been like this before- even last year when she had such a stomach bug she puked to the point of puking stomach bile- she would stop, throw up, and keep running (sorry maybe I should have put a reader discretion advisory on this post for some of you). Anyway, she was wheezing and coughing a lot and had a fever that even after IB Profen would only go down to 101. We hung out in our bed staying up late and watching cartoons and having a Popsicle. I wanted her to sleep in our bed so I would know if her fever spiked or if her asthma got worse, but when it came to turn the lights off, she was crying "Noooo, sweep in Hannah's beb!!" In trying to avoid one problem (our kids sleeping with us on a regular basis) it seems we have created quite the opposite problem, haha. So we let her go to her own bed and I just got up to check on her through the night. She showed little improvement through Sunday but was hanging in there, and so were we.. until....
Around 5:00 last night Bennett started vomiting and vomited for 12 hours- yep, until 4:30 this morning. He did sleep in the Pack'N'Play in our room and woke up numerous times through the night. Even at 4:30 with a 102.6 temp, I couldn't even get him to keep down a teaspoon of IB Profin- so frustrating! He had had no fluids for about 17 hours and I was starting to get worried. I finally got him to keep down a teaspoon and a half of Pedialyte (I never thought I would be so excited about a teaspoon of liquid for my kid!- all I knew was it meant MAYBE I was going to be able to avoid an ER visit after a terrible night, and trying to get an IV in this kid- if you recall what kind of patient he is...)That helped and he slept for a while longer and drank some juice in the morning, so we were able to just get in to the doctor. After paying our double copay I told Ryan we better be leaving here with some good info!! And we did!
Turns out Hannah's oxygen level was down to 92. That's not life threatening or anything, but it's surely not good. They gave her a breathing treatment which did the trick and her fever was down from her being on Aspirin. She will go back on a more regular schedule of breathing treatments every four hours again for a while. Bennett on the other hand had a 103 fever there and she instantly knew the problem as she inserted her handy scope into his ear- I believe her medical term was that he has a "whopping double ear infection". Yes, she did not try to downplay just how red his ears were (telling us they were the color of his shirt was a pretty good picture painted for us). He got a shot in his rear for his 1st dose of antibiotic since he hadn't been able to keep anything down. Poor boy, that was traumatizing for us both! So after $50 at the office and another $60 on all our fun medications, everyone is hopefully on the road to recovery. They both seem more chipper already, but we haven't been real long with fevers staying down as of yet, so it seems like a couple more down days may do us some good. Now we just hope Ryan avoids it and that my supernatural mommy immune system will sustain me =) Crud, crud, go away!!!
You know, it is an amazing thing too, though to experience when your kids are sick how badly you want to take the absolute best care of them possible and keep them as comfortable as possible. It is when they are not well that you really realize that you would, in fact, do anything for them!
4 comments:
Good encouragement Stephanie! I am so happy mine are close and can't wait for moments like the one in the pic. Hope they both get to feeling better VERY soon!
I'm glad you got an answer to what's wrong with them. Now you can just focus on recovery! Let me know if you need anything!
Days can be tough, but glad you can see the silver lining. Mom
I am praying for a speedy recovery for both kids and that you and Ryan will stay healthy! Love you, Steph! :)
Post a Comment