Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Boy Genius and Prodigy Artist

I'm not sure who like the baby toys more... Bennett or Bailey...
I don't know what little kids fascination is with toys that they are too big for, but it has been a challenge to keep my big kids out of the baby stuff.

But don't be deceived, despite that I can't keep him away from toys that he should be "way beyond"- this boy amazes us with how smart he is. We have loved seeing his vocabulary develop so much and last night he, still several months shy of two, said two "full sentences" (remember grammar at this point doesn't count=) 1st he said "No want my chicken." While I wasn't real thrilled with the content of the sentence, it was an impressive sentence none the less. And then before bed time when I told him to find his blankies he came out of our room with them saying "I find it, my blankies!" It's pretty obvious having a big sister to help show him and teach him things, does have it's upside- I guess not everything she teaches him is for the sole purpose of tag teaming trouble =).
.
Now she is working on teaching him how to draw as impressively as she does. Haha. She had been drawing the same picture over and over again- it was a face, with two circles for eyes, a circle for a nose, and a perfectly straight line for a mouth. She informed me one afternoon that this was, in fact, Bennett. Well yesterday, she started drawing a new picture over and over again. I thought that was just so sweet, she was drawing sunshines!!! I even told Ryan how cute she was drawing these suns over and over again on her chalk board.

And then the truth was revealed- she set me straight to inform me that she was drawing a spider. With every "ray of sun" she was saying "and another leg, and more leg, and another leg..." I guess spiders these days really have about 120 legs instead of the old fashioned eight. It looks like one of those organisms you learn about in middle school biology- you know the ones with the "flagella" or whatever they are called. Okay yeah, I know I have been out of school entirely too long to even pretend to talk about things like that... Anyways whether it was a beautiful sunshine or a (nasty) spider, I was proud of my little artist- but maybe not as proud as she was of herself... =)

1 comment:

Michelle Myers said...

I can't get over how much she looks like you. Adorable!