Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Plunge

Okay, so you've all been dying to know what the big purchase was, right?! Haha something tells me maybe not... and well, if you talk to me in person at all, you already know, because we have been so excited! I'm not sure if it's weird how excited we got over this, or if most people do, but for us it was a big deal... okay, okay, I'll tell you already-

We bought a new mattress!!!! Haha sorry for those of you I have officially disappointed from my slightly over the top excitement. If you had only slept one night on our spike pad, I mean mattress, you would understand where this excitement is coming from (my sister Lori and her husband can vouch for it!). Our old mattress was mine from high school, my sister's when she was in high school before that, and our old pastors guest bed before that. It is probably around 20 years old, and was probably only a three hundred dollar mattress to begin with.We could feel, see, and hear every coil in that bad boy. And on my side, it had broken down so bad on the side, this is what I could do....

So, as soon as we filed our tax return, it was off to the mattress store for us! It was delivered last night and laying in it feels like a small taste of Heaven=). At a solid twelve inches thick, there is no way that I could even attempt to grab this one in my hand. We all of the sudden actually need to use our step stool by the side of the bed- it isn't a very short legged or old person friendly bed to have to climb into, but it's pretty cool. And for the icing on the cake... Sunday afternoon Ryan's mom and I went shopping for new sheets and bedding. So fun and difficult at the same time. I knew I kind of wanted to jump on the blue and brown bandwagon, but I didn't want contemporary. Not that I don't like modern, but my house is definitely more traditional- mainly because I can't afford anything else! I can't do trends because they change too fast and I would feel like I have to update every few years, so I stick to traditional stuff that I feel like I won't get sick of too fast. we finally found the perfect thing at our "last hope" stop and what resulted is below...


And my tastes really aren't usually fancy, but we bought this "fancy" furniture from our old young married minister before he moved for dirt cheap, so since it was what we could get our hands on, we ran with it, and I am so glad. After long and crazy days with the kids here, I love that our bedroom is the one place in our house that feels like a vacation from the rest of our "lived in" styled house =) It is a special and romantic retreat area---that is after you move out the toys the kids have drug in there through out the day and step over their kiddie chairs that sit in front of the TV on our dresser, hahaha.

If you notice but couldn't really see what I have above the bed, it is a wedding picture in a custom made frame that Ryan had made for me on our 1st Valentine's Day we were married. He had the plaque made and it says "Home: Where each lives for the other and all live for God." Recognize that quote? It is on the title of my blog. This is from a marriage book recommended to us by the same pastor we got our furniture from called Each for the Other by Bryan Chapell- great book by the way. And above is a phrase from Uppercase Living. If you haven't ever heard of this stuff, you can click on the link to check it out- it is very fun stuff. The down side is you have to buy it from a representative.

And while I'm on home decor. We have done a couple other minor updates in the past couples months that I never did share. I love home stuff, so sorry if it's not your thing, this isn't your post.

My foyer had literally been an empty room for our 1st year here. So for Christmas Ryan bought me this console table- he picked it out himself and might I say I couldn't have done better!- and I finally painted. The little hanging cabinet on the right is actually a special thing because my grandfather made it. He also made a large hutch that my parents have right now that I hope to inherit one day soon (hint hint mom=)


This was a HUGE deal to me- I LOATH fluorescent lighting- when you have my complexion it definitely does you no favors!! That is all we had in our kitchen until I found this light at Lowe's and Ryan and his brother were sweet enough to spend all night hanging it for me (that, my friends, is a story for another day=) But it is still hanging and my dad patched up the rather sizable hole in the ceiling while they were here over Christmas. It, along with painting our cabinets white last spring(they were a lovely pink tone=), has been my favorite "home improvement" thing we have done. Hopefully someday the aqua backsplash and taupe countertops will be outta here too! One step at a time right...

Stacy, Blake's mom, got me a Hobby Lobby gift card for Christmas (the oh so perfect gift for me!) One of the things I bought were these vases for my mantle, I think they look so great with my picture, even the you can't really see the detail in the picture above, you get the idea.

Sorry I'm sure this was COMPLETELY pointless to most of you, but I always love to show off new home stuff and I love to see other people's stuff, so I did it anyway. I had to do something with all this extra energy I have after getting the best nights sleep I've had in years! Haha.

1 comment:

Michelle Myers said...

Steph, your house is SO beautiful!!!!!! I am just amazed by your creativity! What a WELCOMING home! I love you and miss you!