Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hannah Grace's "Big Girl" Room

Project complete. Well, for now at least. As I have mentioned before- for Hannah's birthday we were wanting to give her a big girl room. Well, it wasn't finished by her birthday, but it is done now. Or should I say- it has to be done for now =) The only thing I think I really want to change is the picture frames on her horse drawings. Those were Wal-Mart cheapies and I think that some nicer white wood ones will make a huge difference. We did this room so cheap! It was such a blessing that the furniture was given to us by some good old friends the Dryers. This was their oldest daughter's furniture who I baby sat starting back when she is in first grade and she is a freshman in high school this year! Talk about crazy! And the mattress and box spring were given to us by Ryan's parents when they bought a new one for their guest room. So we were so thankful to have these "big ticket" items given to us, otherwise we couldn't have done it!

If you know much about me you may know I like to consider myself a "wanna-be" decorator. My mom is an amazing interior designer and I can only wish I had her talent. I have tagged along to her decorating gigs since I was a kid and have always thought it was so fun. Well this was my first project starting pretty much from scratch, since we don't have the money or time to do many home decorating projects. I really enjoyed it. BUT, the other thing you may know about me is that when I am excited I get too anxious for my own good. And this case was of course no exception. I ordered the quilt online (which that alone is a risk) and it took FOREVER to get here. So being the anxious person that I am, I tried to do everything I could in the meantime- yes, I even got so impatient I decided to paint before I got the quilt. I was tired of waiting. Well the quilt came the day after I got my paint (of course) and I opened it and to my surprise it was WAY brighter in real life than it appeared in the picture that I had studied so hard from the website. Oh well, I decided at that point to just go with it b/c I really liked the paint color alone and I didn't really want to go much brighter. Anyways, bottom line is I just over analyze these types of things and let myself get crazy picky. So as I said, for now I think it works, and I think once I change out my frames, I will be much happier. The most important thing is Hannah Grace has her own special place, designed just for a sweet little girl like her!
My mom got this lamp and the horse drawings for her for her b'day! They make it I think! We decided to run with the horse accessories after seeing how much Hannah Grace LOVED Gramma Linda's pony!


This is a funny side note- my sister-in-law, Lori, and I made this table cover- and when I say "made" I am referring to gluing on the ribbon and rick-rack=) And after spending, oh, at least an hour or so deliberating, measuring, and analyzing it to a tee- we realized when we hung it we had done it all wrong and that is why it looks like it is caving in, oh well, we learned the hard way, and it still gets the idea across! If I work at it hard enough I can get it to kind of spread out right! Oh well!

2 comments:

Erica B said...

Well, the good thing about the quilt being brighter than the wall color is that after washing it so many times, it might fade a little! That's better than the walls being brighter and the quilt only fading further away!

Beth and Brad said...

the room looks great! i bet hannah just loves it!